This page is intended to serve as a one-stop reference for information about the federal Highway Trust Fund.
The information is organized into five areas:
– Financial Information
– Recent Legislative Activity
– Analysis and Options from Governmental Entities
– Analysis and Options from Non-Governmental Organizations
– Historical Articles and Papers
– Everything you need to know about the Highway Trust Fund and much, much more.
Forecasts of future operations:
- March 2020 Treasury Bulletin (see Table TF-6A on page 97 for the Administration’s 5-year projections of Highway Trust Fund cash flow and Byrd Test calculations). (Does not reflect COVID-19’s effects on the economy and tax receipts.)
- Congressional Budget Office Highway Trust Fund Cash Flow Baseline – March 2020 (Does not reflect COVID-19’s effects on the economy and tax receipts.)
- Congressional Budget Office Highway Trust Fund Tax Receipt Baseline – March 2020 (see tab for “Excise Taxes”) (Does not reflect COVID-19’s effects on the economy and tax receipts.)
Ongoing current fiscal year operations:
Operations in prior fiscal years:
- March 2020 Treasury Bulletin (Table TF-6 on page 96 has the complete FY 2019 cash flow.)
- Federal Highway Administration HTF annual cash flow, FY 1957 – FY 2018 (Table FE-210)
- Compilation of annual Treasury Department reports on HTF operations, 1957 through FY 2019.
- Summary table of transfers to the Highway Trust Fund from other federal funds by special legislation, 2008 through the FAST Act in December 2015.
State-by-state Highway Account dollars in versus dollars out:
- Federal Highway Administration HTF Highway Account cumulative cash flow attributed to each state, FY 1957-2018 (Table FE-221)
- Federal Highway Administration HTF Highway Account state-by-state receipts and apportionments/allocations for each of fiscal years 2009-2018 (Table FE-221B)
- Federal Highway Administration Highway Trust Fund state-by-state attributed tax receipts to both Highway Account and Mass Transit Account, FY 2018 (Table FE-9)
RECENT LEGISLATIVE ACTIVITY
House Highway Trust Fund Reauthorization Legislation:
Senate Highway Trust Fund Reauthorization Legislation:
- (Highway title) – America’s Transportation Infrastructure Act of 2019 (S. 2302): Bill text as introduced; Environment and Public Works Committee markup session; bill text as reported to the Senate, amended; Senate committee report 116-200, Congressional Budget Office score of S. 2302 as reported.
ANALYSIS AND OPTIONS FROM GOVERNMENTAL ENTITIES
ANALYSIS AND OPTIONS FROM NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS
HISTORICAL ARTICLES AND PAPERS
Reagan Devolution: The Real Story of the 1982 Gas Tax Increase (Eno Center for Transportation) plus an overview presentation and a 506-page PDF compilation of original documents from the Reagan Library detailing the decision-making process.