Mr. Florio is Founding Partner of the law firm of Florio Perrucci Steinhardt and Fader, LLC based in Phillipsburg, NJ, and was founder and CEO of XSPAND, an asset management company, Morristown, NJ. Mr. Florio is a University Professor Emeritus for Public Policy and Administration at the Edward J. Bloustein Graduate School of Public Policy and a Senior Fellow at The John J. Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.
As a member of Congress, the 1st Congressional District, 1974 – 1990, James J. Florio:
- Served as Chairman of the House Sub-committee on Commerce, Transportation and Tourism of the Energy and Commerce Committee
- Was involved with every piece of railroad legislation passed during his tenure
- Was the prime sponsor of The Staggers Act (railroad deregulation)
- Sponsored all AMTRAK Reauthorization Bills
As Governor of New Jersey, James J. Florio
- Sponsored the Access to the Regions Core (ARC) Program for mass transit
- Expanded the scope of activity for New Jersey Transit
In recent years, Governor Florio has chaired the Selection Committee for an Executive Director for New Jersey Transit (Rick Sarles). In 2008, Governor Florio was designated as a Lifetime Honoree Member of the New Jersey Short Line Railroad Association.