Temporary position, part time
$16.50 per hour
A hybrid schedule is preferred, but working completely remotely is possible.
Position is based in Washington, D.C.
About the internship:
The goal of Eno’s internship program is to provide an outstanding educational experience for college students interested in the nonprofit, transportation, and think tank sectors. The program is intended to provide knowledge, tools, skills, and experiences that an intern can readily apply to future challenges and professional pursuits.
As an Eno intern, you will:
- Be a member of the team shaping public debate on critical multimodal transportation issues and building an innovative network of transportation professionals
- Experience a nonprofit think tank environment in the heart of our nation’s capital
- Receive on-the-job training and experience working with Eno’s staff
- Gain a broad perspective on the transportation industry
- Attend legal hearings, professional development conferences, and Eno events
- Career talks, topical discussions, training, and mentoring from staff members
- Networking opportunities with staff and industry professionals
- Hourly rate in accordance with the District of Columbia’s minimum wage ($16.50 per hour)
- College credit, work-study, independent study, and/or cooperative learning programs may be available through your school. Check with your college registrar’s office and department to determine whether credits will transfer to your school.
About the Communications Internship
The Communications Intern will report to the ETW and Administrative Associate and also work closely with the Chief Development Officer and Communications Manager to enhance Eno’s communications and online presence. The Communications Intern will gain hands-on experience and mentorship in communications, marketing, writing, social media, graphic design, and more. The Communications Intern will receive experience, training, and mentorship in the following areas:
- Assist with email campaign copywriting, layout, and review routing
- Create and update mailing lists for targeted outreach
- Research, create, and schedule content for the Eno’s social media channels
- Assist with marketing for events and courses, including alumni and policy events
- Help manage the Eno website, including uploading, tagging, and updating content
- Create print and digital materials, including one-pagers, brochures, materials, etc.
- Create social media images, videos, and gifs
- Learn how to develop other media assets for Eno’s programs and research
Research & Writing
- Assist in the execution of Hill briefings, including preparing handouts, developing invitee lists, and staffing events
- Learn how Eno Transportation Weekly (ETW) is written, designed, and published
- Potentially write for ETW, research topics of interest, or create top ten lists
- Receive mentorship and assistance from the marketing and development team to create an independent project based on an area of personal and educational interest
Candidates should be strong writers with an eye for detail, organized, effective time managers, and have excellent interpersonal skills and marketing instincts. Journalism, English, Public Relations, Communications, and Marketing majors are encouraged to apply. Experience and/or education in social media and Microsoft office is preferred. Knowledge of the transportation industry is a plus, but not required.
We are currently seeking Communications Interns for both spring and summer terms (exact dates to be determined upon hire). Due to Eno’s hybrid office structure, the internship can be conducted fully remotely. Interns can work up to 20 hours on weekdays between 9:00am to 5:30pm EST.
How to Apply
Please be prepared to include the following documents and attachments when submitting your application.
- Cover letter: explaining why you wish to intern at Eno, your qualifications and interests for the internship, and your goals and expectations for the internship.
- Resume: one page in length.
- One letter of recommendation: ideally this would be a different person than the listed references.
- One writing sample: this could be an essay, blog post, brochure, or similar.
- Two work-related or academic references: names, titles, phone numbers, and email addresses.
We would appreciate if you could name your files in the following format:
- Last Name_Cover Letter
- Last Name_Resume
- Last Name_Letter of Recommendation
- Last Name_Writing Sample
- Last Name_References
To apply, please send your materials to Jonathan Hammond at email@example.com with the subject line “2023 Communications Intern.”
Applications are due by 11:59 PM ET on February 15, 2023.