The President & CEO of Eno is a high visibility position. The role is responsible to Eno’s Board of Directors, the policy setting, governing body of Eno, for the effective management of Eno’s work programs, finances, and staff. The President/CEO will work closely with the Board to create, develop, and implement Eno’s policy and people development programs, including raising the money to make those programs a reality. The President/CEO is charged with carrying out the goals and objectives set by Eno’s strategic plan, and managing the resources of the organization in such a way as to enhance and protect its financial and ethical position. He or she will work to enhance and grow new revenue sources and assist the Board members in retaining and improving the yield from existing funding sources.
Examples of specific tasks include:
- Directing all program activities
- Identifying emerging issues critical to the transportation industry, broadly defined, and developing program ideas including forums and publications that position Eno as a thought leader on those issues
- Cultivating creative leadership across the transportation industry through the current array of educational initiatives
- Identifying new education and training needs and developing new initiatives
- Advancing Eno Transportation Weekly, Eno’s primary publication, in terms of content and subscriber base
- Creating industry-wide strategic relationships and partnerships, and leading Eno’s commitment to partnering with other associations, interest groups, and organizations in the transportation industry
- Seeking opportunities to strengthen existing partnerships with governmental and non-governmental transportation agencies, associations, and organizations, and cultivating new partners among these entities and with other foundations, corporations, and individuals
- Managing and oversight of all financial matters, including financial planning and budgeting
- Identifying and working with sources of funding to support Eno’s programs and products
- Leading and managing fundraising activities, funder relationships, and member engagement
- Providing strong management and leadership for staff including the oversight of all internal programs and the building of strong teams as needed for the development of programs and activities
- Leading, recruiting, retaining, and motivating Eno staff
- Communicating and marketing the adoption of findings and actions recommended through Eno activities via publications, articles, speeches, and conference participation, as well as through the Eno member and alumni network
- Marketing new programs and initiatives to the general public as well as to transportation organizations, professional practitioners, government and not-for-profit organizations, universities, and the media
- Participating in professional activities of other organizations
Minimum and Desired Qualifications
The minimum qualifications required for this position include a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university. Having an advanced degree is preferred, but is not an absolute. The ideal candidate will have substantial experience in a senior management position, and demonstrated knowledge of the public and/or private transportation sector. He/she should have sophisticated understanding of not-for-profit financial and ethical guidelines.
Candidates must have outstanding people and interpersonal skills, and excellent oral and written presentation and communications skills. The ideal candidate must have the ability to travel domestically and internationally.
Eno is seeking an experienced executive who can quickly garner confidence, respect, and trust with the Board, the community, and all internal and external stakeholders. Candidates considered for the President & CEO role will possess a strong combination of the following attributes:
- Dynamic leadership and managerial skills with a demonstrated ability to foster and manage Board relationships
- Gravitas and credibility to effectively interact with senior industry and government officials
- Strong professional background with a focus on broad economic, transportation, and infrastructure issues
- Wide ranging knowledge of and interest in global and multi-modal transportation issues and organizations
- Understanding of the nuances of working and succeeding within a highly transparent, public sector environment
- Stellar interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, including strong influencing and negotiating skills
- Collaborative leadership style
- A reputation of unquestioned integrity and ethics
- Demonstrated financial acumen needed to assure Eno’s fiscal health including fundraising, membership, revenue, and cost controls
- Expertise and desire to spend significant time directing all fundraising efforts for a major, national not-for-profit
- Ability to develop and capture new audiences and topics for study and development
- Experience in identification, enhancement, and creating profitable and effective leadership development programs
- Ability to expand credibility in academic, transportation, and business spheres
- Ability to use technology both as a business tool and as a product for development
- Experience in mentoring and growing staff
- Mature judgment and thoughtful decisiveness
- In-control ego and a healthy sense of humor
This is an exciting career opportunity for an individual interested in a genuine professional challenge. With this position comes a competitive compensation and benefits program.
The Officer in Charge of this engagement is Tim McNamara, Managing Partner and Boyden’s Global Transportation Practice Leader. He will be assisted by Linda Kearschner, Principal. Interested parties should submit in electronic format a resume with compensation history, and a cover letter outlining reasons for their interest in the position, including detail on the aforementioned responsibilities, attributes, and qualifications to email@example.com. You may also contact us via our Toll Free Phone number at +1.877.2.BOYDEN (226.9336) for additional information.
Boyden global executive search
Founded in 1946, Boyden is the oldest and one of the largest privately owned search firms in the world, with more than 65 offices in over 40 countries. In the world of executive search, Boyden is distinguished by the expertise of our consultants, the resources of our global firm, our commitment to our clients, and our culture of professionalism and integrity. For further information about Boyden, visit www.boyden.com.
Eno is an independent, non-partisan think-tank that shapes public debate on critical multimodal transportation issues and builds an innovative network of transportation professionals. Your membership and donations helps support the independent analysis and research you depend on.
See What’s Coming Up at Eno
Visit our event page to see a list of current and past professional development programs, webinars, and more.