June 20, 2016|ENO CENTER FOR TRANSPORTATION
This PDF file is a series of White House memos from May-June 1966 relating to the Department of Transportation Act. (There is some overlap between this file and the file of Senate memos, particularly on the overall issue of section 7 investment standards.) This file contains the following memos:
- May 2, 1966 memo from White House domestic policy czar Joe Califano to the legislative affairs team regarding section 7 investment standards (covering an April 23 memo from the Bureau of the Budget on the same subject).
- May 25, 1966 memo from House Government Operations counsel James Lanigan to subcommittee chairman Chet Holifield (D-CA) regarding amendments to H.R. 13200.
- May 27, 1966 memo from the Bureau of the Budget to Califano regarding discussions with Senate and House committee staff on the bill.
- May 31, 1966 memos from the office of House liaison Henry Wilson describing contacts on the DOT Act.
- June 1, 1966 memo from the Bureau of the Budget describing a May 31 meeting with Rep. Holifield in which he agreed to certain changes to the bill.
- June 9, 1966 memo from Califano to President Johnson on section 7.
- June 10, 1966 memo from the Army Chief of Engineers to President Johnson on section 7 (with a cover memo from Califano).
- June 13, 1966 decision memo from Califano and Barefoot Sanders to President Johnson recommending a compromise on section 7 – President Johnson checked the “Approve” box and wrote “why not to this at once” at the bottom of the memo.
- June 21, 1966 memo regarding the House Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committee’s opposition to the bill.
- June 21, 1966 memo from Boyd to Califano regarding section 7.
- June 28, 1966 memo from Commerce Secretary Connor to President Johnson regarding the use of the Presidential yacht Sequoia to lobby House members on the bill.
- June 29, 1966 memo from Calfano to President Johnson summarizing the House full committee markup.